Beer drinker, beer brewer and lover of all things beer.

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Pietra Biera Corsa

Pietra is a microbewery on the island of Corsica. In an area dominated by wine production it's quite suprising but pleasing to see this brewery prosper. Established 1996 by Dominique Sialelli and his wife Armelle the couple were driven by a passion to create a beer with the flavour of Corsica. This has been achieved by using Chestnut flour in the mash. Chestnut trees are revered in Corsica and known as 'bread trees' which would make it an obvious choice to create something with the soul of the island.
Pietra is a 'dark lager' but you wouldn't know it as it has the flavour profile of a malty ale.It has an abv of 6%. It pours amber in colour with an off-white foamy head that quickly recedes. The aroma is quite nutty and also very earthy with a light sweetness. The eathiness carries through to the palate strongly with some toffee and elements of wholemeal bread. You are left with a dry mouthfeel with light carbonation.
Pietra isn't an unpleasant beer but it is a strange drinking experience. The earthiness is too dominant with little hop character but it is a beer that is easy to finish. I was hoping to like it more but I would have to score it at 2.5 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I had a bottle of this at a friends house the other day (some googling found this post) and was pleasantly surprised by the beer. There was a subtle hoppiness that I couldn't place. As an all grain homebrewer myself I was interested to learn they use chestnut flour in the mash. I'd expect that to quickly go gloopy and stick. I'm glad I found this blog, just off for a look round. I have a blog if you want to check out my all grain homebrew

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are published without prior moderation so please don't post anything overly offensive or inflamatory.